STEM Ambassadors are volunteers from a wide range of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) related jobs and disciplines across the UK. They offer their time and enthusiasm to help bring STEM subjects to life and demonstrate the value of them in life and careers for young people aged 5 – 19.
CSW Enterprise manage the STEM Ambassador South West Peninsula STEM Ambassador Hub (covering Devon and Cornwall). This is one of 19 Hubs across the UK that manage the 33,000 nationally registered STEM Ambassadors.
STEM Ambassadors are an important and exciting free of charge resource for teachers and others engaging with young people inside and out of the classroom.
Find us on twitter @STEMHub_SWest
Benefits of using a STEM Ambassador:
- Help to reach the Gatsby Careers Benchmarks
- Raising students aspirations and provide an insight into STEM Careers
- Provide work place examples that link to the curriculum
- Assist schools/community groups to make better links with STEM industry
- Updated knowledge for teachers in STEM activities and careers
- The STEM Ambassador programme is free of charge to schools/community groups.
Benefits of being a STEM Ambassador:
- Enjoy a sense of achievement
- Open a young person’s mind to new possibilities in STEM that they have never considered
- Develop new skills and confidence
- It’s a new and challenging experience
- It’s a chance to share your enthusiasm for your subject and inspire the next generation of scientists and engineers
- It’s an opportunity to give something back to the community, and develop employer links
- It contributes to personal and professional development
Employer Ambassador Benefits
The benefit is getting our Company brand out there so when the time comes for the students to make decisions about their future, they may consider an Apprenticeship with us. Also, not many youngsters are aware of what Engineering is so it’s good to have the opportunity to visit them and get them excited and interested about the profession. It’s great for our staff to get involved, they really enjoy it so it’s a good incentive to enable them to go out and get involved in the activities! Debbie – SEA
Quotes from schools
“Just wanted to say a big thank you for the event today, it was fantastic, one of the best events I have taken students to. The activities were engaging, pitched at the right level for the students and certainly helped to raise aspirations within the STEM subjects.”
“The students were able to link the activity they did with the STEM Ambassador with their continued learning, for example making comments such as ‘this is like what engineers do’ and ‘we are being engineers!” Primary teacher – North Devon